Friday, February 17, 2012

Respite Weekend at CAMP

Jeff as a Ninja Turtle during Summer Camp CAMP
This last weekend Jeff went to Respite Weekend at Camp CAMP.  He has been going to Camp CAMP in the summer since he was nine years old but in the last few years he has also been going to Respite Weekends.  It is one weekend a month, September through May at Camp CAMP in Center Point, Texas. (CAMP Website)

I needed this weekend.  Not that I don't love having my son around, but I have learned something through the years;  I need to miss him from time to time.  A weekend here and there, summer CAMP once a year for a week, and TADA also known as Teen and Adult Day Adventure. Usually one Saturday or Sunday a month during the Respite Season,TADA is a program through CAMP (Children's Association for Maximum Potential) that pairs up typical teens and adults with teens and young adults with developmental delays.  They gather together and go to a Spurs game (basketball for you non-sports types), Sea World or the annual trip to the Rivercenter Mall in downtown San Antonio in December. Jeff seems to love the socialization and I get a small break, knowing Jeff is having a great time.

My father, Bill Spearman with Ben Elble
This last weekend I was a little concerned.  Jeff has been having some medication issues and I was worried he might have a melt down at Respite Weekend.  I called all my CAMP friends that were going to be there, warned them about behavior issues and made sure they knew they could call me if they needed me to pick him up early.  To my amazement, Jeff did great!  He was given an experienced counselor,  (thank you Oscar) and all of his usual friends were around.  Alex, Drew and Ben Elble.  Ben is the Associate Camp Director at Camp CAMP and I call him the "Jeff Whisperer".  I don't know how, but Ben seems to be able to calm Jeff down when no one else can.  He sees Jeff as Jeff and not a challenge.. just his buddy.  Scary thing is Jeff is twice Ben's size, but "Mr. Ben" as Jeff calls him, is not daunted in the least.  He is calm and just expects good behavior.  Most of the time, Jeff complies and when he doesn't all "Mr. Ben" has to do is say "JEFF" and my son will say, "Sorry Mr. Ben" and that is the end of it. 
Danielle with her fiance' Phillip
Thanks to CAMP and "Mr. Ben" I got a great weekend with my husband and daughter and a surprise guest, my daughter's fiance, Phillip.  He lives quite a ways away and he surprised her for Valentine's Day.  It was truly a great weekend.  Not only did we have a great weekend but so did Jeff.  It was truly a guilt-free respite. 






No comments:

Post a Comment